Before you know it, Fall will be upon us and our glorious NW storms will once again make an appearance. Did you miss them? I certainly didn't although I know some people who love them. It may help you to remember that storms are a season in themselves and although not all of us look forward to it, it will end just like any other season.
Why don't you think of a way to celebrate the storms this Fall? A good way to do this is to plan a trip to the coast for storm-watching.
You can also make sure that your home is ready for storms. There are several ways to do this. Below are our recommendations:
- Buy a wood/pellet/gas stove or fireplace if you haven't already. As you know the government stimulus plan will provide a tax credit up $1500.00 for your purchase of approved ones. All the stoves at Rich's for the Home qualify so now is a great time to buy.
- Stock up on fuel for your stove or fireplace.
- Winterize your home by checking for areas that heat may be escaping. Check around windows and doors in particular.
- Clean your gutters before the winds start.
- Clear any tree branches that might be dangerous when the winds start. Consult with an arborist if you have questions about it.
- If you don't already have shades on your windows in addition to curtains, you should consider having them installed. They help heat stay put.
- Restock your emergency supplies. Make sure that you have lighting, propane if needed and glowsticks.
- Have your furnace serviced, if needed.