Summer will soon be here and if you haven’t started planning your outdoor living room, it’s time to start! From lavish “Street of Dreams”-style spaces to more humble backyard scenes, your outdoor living space should reflect your own personal style and needs. Here are a few things to consider when planning your outdoor spaces:
A Room with a View
- What’s the view from your patio or deck?
- Do you have beautifully landscaped gardens, or does your backyard have more of that “playground for the kids” feel?
Consider what you might like to hide with privacy plantings or screens, and what the focus of your space will be: a fountain, outdoor fireplace, beautifully planted garden bed, or something else? Like any other room in your house, a focal point will serve to unify the outdoor living space and make it inviting.
What’s the purpose of your space?
- Is it primarily family space for you and the kids, or will you be entertaining?
- Do you want a more formal, sophisticated and adult space, or will it be kid-friendly?
Answering these questions will help you determine the size and type of outdoor furniture you will need, as well as other accessories.
When will you be using this space?
- Only during the warmer spring and summer months? Year-round?
- Do you need outdoor space heaters, or perhaps a cover of some sort?
- How will you store your furniture and equipment in the off-season?
Answering these questions will give you a starting place to begin planning your family’s perfect outdoor living space. And if you live in the Puget Sound area and would like some help with ideas, check out Rich’s In-Home Design Assistance – it’s FREE!