This is a marvelous way to take advantage of the summer veggies in your garden or produce aisle. Of course, you might want to wait until we are done with this heat-wave we've been having. Or, serve it cold.
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 4 tablespoons sweet butter
- 2 cups finely chopped yellow onions
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 lbs zucchini (4-5 medium size)
- 2 bunches of watercress
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Fresh lemon juice to taste
- Melt the butter, add onions, cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally until onions are tender and lightly colored (about 25minutes).
- Chop the zucchini into chunks.
- Add the stock; bring to boil. Add zucchini and cook until zucchini is very tender (about 20 minutes).
- Meanwhile, pull the leaves and smaller stems off the watercress until you have 4 cups loosely packed.
- Remove soup from heat, add watercress, cover, and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Pour soup through into a blender. Add stock if needed and blend until smooth.
- Return soup to the pot and add additional stock until the soup is of the desired consistency.
- Season with salt, pepper, and lemon. Simmer briefly.