I strolled the showroom floor at Rich’s Lynnwood store and counted over two dozen models of bar stools, plus another 15 or so models on clearance for 50% off the retail price.
Rich’s carries bar stools from three manufacturers:
At Rich’s, you can order any stool these manufacturers sell in your choice of finish and fabric.
Popular finishes include:
- Wood – a classic favorite, in colors ranging from ebony to cordovan, mocha, amber (cherry, mahogany, walnut)
- Iron – elegant
- Wood and iron – classic, yet sturdy
- Brushed steel – a contemporary, titanium-like feel
When I test-drove Rich’s bar stools, I particularly liked those with suede upholstery. Suede is cushy and comfy, plus it’s durable and easy to clean.
If you’re planning to decorate (or re-decorate) your eating area or outdoor room, you can build your décor around new bar stools. Here’s a “fashion show” of several of the models I found on Rich’s showroom floor:
When you’re shopping for bar stools, make sure you get the right height.
Standard bar stool heights:
- Counter height
- Bar height
- Chair height
- Vanity height
- Spectator height
- Hydraulic (adjustable from 24 ½ to 32 ½” – hair salon chair)
In addition to height, finish, and upholstery, you need to consider the following:
- Casual or formal
- Swivel vs. stationary
- Arms vs. armless
- Arm height
- Back vs. backless
- Seat padding
- Upholstered seat height vs. wood seat height
- Maximum width and depth