I must confess.
With the sun out this week, I pulled out my grill, and made a family favorite.
We don’t call them Shish Kabobs. We call them Shish Kamikes. Don’t ask me why and it is meant with no offense (just honor) to our good friend, Mike.
TERIYAKI SHISH KAMIKES
You will need:
- 25 Skewers
- 2 pounds of Steak, cut into cubes (Pre-cut Stew Meat works great)
- 2 large green peppers
- 1 orange or yellow pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 1 lb whole mushrooms (we make some without mushrooms too)
- 1-2 lbs cherry tomatoes
- 1 large onion (we make some without onions too)
- Can of Pineapple Chunks
- Thick teriyaki sauce
- Marinate meat in teriyaki sauce if desired for overnight or at least a few hours.
- Soak skewers in water for a couple of hours-it will help prevent them from burning.
- Chop veggies (except cherry tomatoes) into chunks.
- Start each skewer with a rounded chunk of pepper to act as a “bowl”.
- Alternate with meat, veggies and occasional pineapple to the top of the skewer.
- Lay skewers on a long, flat surface such as a cookie sheet.
- Brush all completed skewers with teriyaki sauce on both sides.
- Grill, turning once or twice during cooking.
- The Kamikes are done when the meat is.
(And for younger children, skim the goodies off the skewer before serving)